My Family

My Family

Sunday, September 18, 2011

being "TWO"

So, we have hit a phase.  or at least that is what all of the books and my friends say.  that this TOO shall PASS.  I keep reminding myself of this little helpful phrase when I am tired and want to go to bed and my 2 yr old insists on staying up, getting out of his bed, and not listening.   The favorite things to say recently are no.......and copying what I tell him to do- he does this with his beloved B's that sleep with him.  We have a very hard time at bedtime- so much so that I have not lost the battle with him sleeping in my bed, but when Tim is gone he sleeps on my floor next to me.  He asks me "mommy, can you make it rain on your pink phone?"  (LOVE the ipod app of the noisemaker....works great and only 1 dollar!)

He plays better by himself than anyone I know- all he needs are some firetrucks and some other emergency vehicles in his hands- in fact, he even sleeps with those little guys.  Luke is a kid that really does sing happiness.  He skips to doors, laughs a lot, and loves BIG.  He says I love you and gives the best hugs where he nuzzles his face into my hair.  He sings to himself a lot, makes up songs in the tune of the ABC's and makes himself laugh.  My favorite recently is hearing him go to bed (FINALLY) but as he was going was singing the doxology and also hearing him sing Chris Tomlin's How great is our god.  He calls that mommy's song.

He runs, skips, rides a 2 wheel bike (go balance bikes by the way......this kid knows how to ride!) climbs everything, eats healthier than I ever have, and is on at 6 am or before every morning.  He does crafts with me and likes to color and makes cards.  We study the trees and watch the birds and the squirrels.  We watch shows like Diego and Dora in our house, and of course, Curious George.  He knows how to turn on every remote, every phone, every camera, light switch, dishwasher......EVERYTHING.  he is a gadget guy through and through.  mechanical.  Constantly amazes me with his large vocabulary and thought process.  Everything is Thomas, Lightning McQueen, or most importantly, fire trucks.  He is going to grow up to be a daddy and a firefighter.  =)  (according to him)

The tantrums, getting out of bed, wanting 700 things while he is trying to go to bed.....(did you know that is when he ASKS to go potty?  I think it is because he wants to get out of bed!)  is wearing me out.  I am also understanding the large task I have to be a mother and raise him in such a way that he is not spoiled rotten and a brat.  I want him to be a kind kid.....fierce in the manliest of ways, but kind and gentle with compassion and tenderness.  I see this in him periodically already- that he will be a great leader- that he can read people well and know how they are feeling.....  Praying that the No's and tantrums that I see daily with him will pass.....and that it is just a phase.  I write this because I also want to remember this moment.....cherish it.....because this too shall pass......when he is too big to sit and snuggle in my lap......or think I am the least bit cool..........or ask me to play with him......I am soaking it all up....maybe have a few no's in each sentence, but I know that he is good and the Lord has got his heart already.

We have memorized so many verses with him this summer, but my favorite verse that we quote daily with him is "Ephesians 6:1- children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is RIGHT"

This is a lot easier said than done, but we are making progress.  I may be getting a few gray hairs in these weeks, but I am also happy my child is so expressive and verbal and wouldn't ask for anything else either.  =)



I love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment